How It Works - California
Continuing education courses from Empire Learning are simple, straightforward, and approved by the California Department of Real Estate to fulfill your entire continuing education requirement for renewal of a CA Salesperson or Broker's license.
DRE limits how quickly real estate CE courses can be completed, and as a result you will need at least 6 days to complete the full 45 hours of continuing education.
Here's how the process works:
- Step 1: Find courses to meet your requirement
- Step 2: After purchase, download the PDF course materials from the My Account page
- Step 3: Read through the downloaded course materials until you feel comfortable with the information
- Step 4: Complete the review questions at the end of each chapter in the study materials
- Step 5: Log in to your account at Empire Learning and begin taking exams for the courses in your package
- DRE only allows completion of 15 credit hours of exams within a 24-hour period, along with an 8-hour maximum of study time per day
- To take an exam, you must have the corresponding number of Study Hours available, as well as be within the limit of 15 credit hours of exams (including the current exam) in any 24-hour period
- Study hours will accumulate automatically in your account at a rate of 8 study hours per 24-hour period
- When you take an exam, the Available Study Hours will be reduced by the number of credit hours that exam is worth
- A passing grade of at least 70% for each exam is required to receive credit for that exam
- Step 6: Your Certificate of Completion for each course will be available in My Account immediately after passing each exam
- Step 7: Renew your license online with DRE eLicensing (learn to use eLicensing here) or by mail. Mail-in renewal forms are located here.
What if I fail an exam?
If you fail a final exam, you are allowed one retake. Questions on the retake exam will be different than those on the original exam. If the retake exam is failed, you will be re-enrolled in the course at no charge. After re-enrollment, you must re-complete the credit hours for the course prior to taking the final exam again. Waiting time requirements are listed below.
- Any 12-hour course - May attempt retake exam immediately. If the retake exam is failed you will need to wait at least 28 hours and have the required Study Hours and Exam credits available to take the exam again.
- Any 6-hour course - May attempt retake exam immediately. If the retake exam is failed you will need to wait at least 6 hours and have the required Study Hours and Exam Credits available before taking the exam again.
- Any 3-hour course - May attempt retake exam immediately. If the retake exam is failed you will need to wait at least 3 hours and have the required Study Hours and Exam Credits available before taking the exam again.